VMware error on HP Proliant “Host Baseboard Management Controller status”
Saw this today on a HP Proliant DL380 G7 Server.
1. It’s a simple one to solve, the server was built with the HP ESXi build, and the management agents are complaining because the iLO is not connected to the network.
2. When you connect the iLO socket to the network the alarm should change as shown below.
3. Once you have connected or disabled it you can reset the alarm.
4. Take the opportunity to log in and configure the iLO. Access via an internet browser (it will get a DHCP address by default, you can set a static IP address by entering the iLO setup at boot (see disabling iLO section below)).
5. The user name is Administrator (capital A) and the password will be either on a pull out tab on the front of the server, or a brown cardboard label tied to the front of the server (you did keep that didn’t you!), or on a brown sticker on top of the server chassis. On certain models HP also stick this information under the server lid.
6. Then you can log in and configure.
Disable the iLO
1. If you do not want to use the iLO then you can disable it (I cant think why you would want to, because its a handy piece of kit, but heres how to do it.)
2. Reboot the server, and when prompted press F8 to enter the iLO setup.
3. Settings > Configure.
4. These are the default settings, use the cursor keys to select and the space bar to enable/disable the options.
5. All disabled.